Robin suggested this gluten-free, dairy recipe. She found it on her friend’s Facebook page “Wake and bake Mama”.
I took the cheese out and added the gluten back. What can I say?! I think dairy is more evil than gluten. But that’s just me. And a few others. May I suggest you add “Forks over knives” to your Netflix to-watch list and let me know what you think.
But back to our muffins! I think the best testimony is Andrew taking on average half a batch with him on a trip and sending me happy traveling muffin pictures…
- 1 TBSP ground flax
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp each baking powder + soda
- 1.25 c whole wheat flour + 1/4c corn meal
- 1/4c nutritional yeast
- 1/4c water
- 1/2 c apple sauce
- 1.25c almond milk
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 large jalapeños, depending how hot they are, keep the seeds of only one, or none, or both, finely chopped.
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F
- Add all powders together, mix well
- Add the liquids to the powders, mix more
- Add the jalapeños
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (20 minutes will have them a bit undercook and gooey if you are to try to eat them right away, but they will remain soft for several days, even if kept in the fridge)
Again, they’re about 90 calories a pop (If you make 12 of them) and really nice with cheese (for a naughty treat!) or vegan hard cheese (recipe coming up soon!).
These can also be made non-spicy – omit the jalapenos, and use fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes and a red bell pepper instead: