There are all sorts of snacks recipes out there, probably as varied as the human taste can go, so yeah… Pretty varied.
The original recipe was featured in the New York Times ( February 2015, Momofuku Milk Bar Approved Snack); I modified itslightly, mostly to decrease the amount of sugar.
Yields 4c of herbed nuts, with about 5 min active work.
Overall time about an hour (10 min roasting, 5 min mixing, 45 min cooling)
- 1 c almonds
- 1c walnuts
- 1c pecans
- 1c pistachios
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- About 2 TBSP molasses
- About 1 TBSP honey or any combo or honey / molasses / maple syrup would work too
- 2 TBSP dried rosemary
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional but good for you!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F
- Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet and roast for about 10 min, until they begin to brown and get fragrant (Trust your nose! Get them out as soon as it starts to smell good)
- Meanwhile, mix the rest in a large bowl
- Add the warm nuts to the bowl, and mix throroughly: the heat will help liquify and blend everything; as long as you mix thoroughly with heart for a few minutes, you’ll be good
- Spread the coated nuts back on the baking sheet, and let them cool+dry completely before enjoying or putting away