I had given up on vegan chocolate chip cookies. Then I tried one more time and BOOM. These.
They can be made without waiting overnight, but we tried both and the votes were unanimous for the 24 hours aged dough. The cookies will still be good if baked right away – but they’ll be that much better if you wait 24 hours.
- 3+2/3c whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 1.25 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1c vegan butter (can be subbed with coconut oil, but not preferred)
- 1/4c melted coconut oil
- 1c light brown sugar (scant)
- 1c granulated Turbinado sugar
- 1c applesauce = 2 commercial containers
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10oz (small bag) bittersweet chocolate chips (I like Ghirardelli)
- Sea salt
- Combine powders (from flour to salt) in a large bowl. whisk, set aside
- In a second bowl, blend the rest (From butter to vanilla) and whisk well with a fork
- Gradually add the powders to the second bowl, and finally add the chocolate chips
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge overnight
- Remove the dough and let it warm up a little while pre-heating the oven at 350F
- Prepare 2 cookie sheets by lining them with parchment
- Drop about 1/3c of dough – nicely spaced to give the cookies room as they flatten a bit, sprinkle lightly with sea salt
- Bake for 12 min on the top rack, 14 min on the middle rack
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes before touching the cookies
- Savor your success
- Freezes beautifully, too!
This recipe is the result of a combination of several trials from recipes and tricks from several websites.